Everyone wants more traffic.
Getting to the top of the search engines has never been simpler…
Are you serious? Did you not see what Google did to blog networks with their latest search ranking algorithm change?
And what about the Panda updates?
If anything, it’s getting harder and harder to get to the top of the SERPs (search engine results pages).
Yes, thousands of sites were affected by these algorithm changes. But these were sites that took the easy/lazy and sometimes sleazy way to get traffic.
Besides, what I said was that there is a simple way to get to the top of the SERPs, not an easy one.
A strategy that’s simple in concept, but not easy in execution.
It’s the difference between knowing how to do something versus actually doing it.
So what is this simple concept for getting traffic?
Tap Into Increased Search Traffic Generated by a Breaking News Event
Basically, you pay attention to what’s going on in the news that could be relevant to your business. You then create a piece of content primed at attracting journalists and reporters who need quotes, details, or insights from an expert for the story they’ll be writing.
Reporters write about the breaking news and put you in the second paragraph. Now you’ve injected yourself into the conversation. In return, you benefit from the traffic generated by media coverage of the breaking news event.
The difficulty with leveraging this type of traffic is, of course, the unpredictable nature of breaking news.
What is undeniable is that when there is breaking news, there is a big surge in searches for that news.
But how do you tap into this source of quick and heavy search traffic?
By taking advantage of the search engines’ bias towards breaking news.
How Search Engines Treat Breaking News Differently
Optify, an inbound marketing software company, did a study on how search engines treat breaking news events. And they came up with some very interesting findings:
- The format of the SERPs is different for searches done on breaking news events. In addition to natural-organic results, the SERP also rendered “placed results” (i.e., videos, images, news, social media, books, and blogs).
- On average, about 70% of prime real estate on the SERP (above-the-fold) is used for these placed results.
- Placed results appeared ABOVE natural results. (Ding! Ding! Ding! This is your opportunity to rank above long-standing organic search results and grab a piece of the search action.)
- Google vs. Bing: In their news results, Google favored sites with more authority and reach while Bing favored sites that have more recent contents.
How You Can Leverage the Breaking News Bias to Drive More Traffic to Your Website
Knowing that search engines push natural-organic results down in favor of placed results when there’s breaking news, you should create content in as many formats as possible (i.e., videos, images, social media, blog posts, Google+ posts, etc.). This will increase your chance of appearing in the placed results section of the SERPs.
And knowing that Google favors sites with more authority and reach, you must continuously build your authority through content marketing and develop your social network to increase your reach to target customers. With Google now rendering even more personalized results, this is more important than ever.
But in order to take advantage of the breaking news bias in the SERPs, you still have to keep constant tabs on what’s happening now and create content tailored to relevant news.
Don’t you wish there was an easy tool out there to help you with that?
Well, there is…
Free Content Marketing Tool: You’ll Never Have Trouble Coming Up With Content Again
This FREE tool:
- Gives you up-to-the-minute information based on relevant keywords you input;
- Helps you see/follow trending news;
- Allows you to move more quickly on breaking news;
- Provides you with instant cross references;
- Lets you know the questions people are asking about your market/product; and
- Enables you to identify content needs.
With this tool, there’s no more worrying about what to write. Just let the market tell you what it wants. Use it to stay ahead of the curve with the freshest content.
Add your unique perspective to it all and you have the winning formula for driving more traffic to your website: